Continuation of tree (8th child of Francois Pitre/2nd wife Pauline Adelaide Dequindre); all known surname descendants:
7 Toussaint Pitre b: 5 November 1863 Anchorville, St. Clair, MI; d: 28 September 1952 Merrill, Saginaw, MI
+Gilfera 'Mary' Bethui (aka Betwe) b: 12 March 1867 Ira, St. Clair, MI; m: 13 October 1885 Bay City, Bay, MI [Alexander/Adaline Gosselin]; d: 13 February 1937 Saginaw, Saginaw, MI
8 Walter Stephons Petre b: 10 August 1886 Gilford, Tuscola, MI; d: 30 June 1958 Saginaw, Saginaw, MI
+Grace Alma Lee b: 17 June 1892 Hunter, Greene, NY: m: 6 April 1910 Stamford, Delaware, NY [David/Ida Dibble]; d: 1 May 1939 Stamford, Delaware, NY
8 Floyd Louis Petre b: 28 February 1888 Gilford, Tuscola, MI; d: 5 June 1970 Billings, Yellowstone, MT
+Rosa Jock b: February 1889 Michigan; m: 25 November 1908 Merrill, Saginaw, MI [Richard/Josephine Peltier] (divorced 6 April 1915); d: 25 October 1950 Highland Park, Wayne, MI
8 Mary Belle Petre b: 6 December 1889 Reese, Tuscola, MI; d: 6 July 1970 Merrill, Saginaw, MI
+Howard Lyle Barber b: 27 March 1889 St. Louis, Gratiot, MI; m: 9 July 1917 Merrill, Saginaw, MI [David L./Ida Visbee]; d: 19 February 1951 Merrill, Saginaw, MI
8 Leo Julius Petre b: 21 February 1891 Gilford, Tuscola, MI; d: 25 October 1948 Ontario, San Bernardino, CA
+Bessie Marilla Snyder b: 16 February 1890 Midland Co., MI; m: 4 August 1913 Billings, Yellowstone, MT [William F./Mary O'Donnell]; d: 20 January 1989 Los Angeles, Los Angeles, CA
8 Clarence Obary Petre b: 13 May 1894 Gilford, Tuscola, MI; d: 5 February 1955 Merrill, Saginaw, MI
+Martha J. Leedke b: 4 November 1895 Richland, Saginaw, MI; m: 27 November 1923 Merrill, Saginaw, MI [Herman/Anne Riley]; d: 4 October 1977 Saginaw, Saginaw, MI
8 Herbert A. Petre b: 17 November 1895 Gilford, Tuscola, MI; d: 23 November 1933 Pomona, Los Angeles, CA
+Jessie Mildred Cadwell b: 6 October 1899 St. Charles, Saginaw, MI; m: 27 August 1921 Saginaw, Saginaw, MI [Charles Edwin/Mina King]; d: 4 May 1995 Placerville, El Dorado, CA
8 female Petre b: 13 September 1897 Gilford, Tuscola, MI; d: 14 September 1897 Gilford, Tuscola, MI
8 Lottie Petre b: 12 July 1898 Gilford, Tuscola, MI; d: 11 December 1980 Cedar Springs, Kent, MI
+Frank J. Shannon b: 29 December 1883 Merrill, Saginaw, MI; m: 29 October 1928 Merrill, Saginaw, MI [John R./Mary Keenan]; d: 5 November 1964 Saginaw, MI
8 Delos Petre b: 4 July 1900 Saginaw, Saginaw, MI; d: 15 November 1958 Houghton Lake, Roscommon, MI
+Bernice M. Leddy b: 1 April 1906 Thomas, Saginaw, MI; m: 3 November 1926 Saginaw, Saginaw, MI [Michael/Margaret Davis]; d: 27 October 1992 Midland, Midland, MI
8 Della Petre b: 15 May 1903 Reese, Tuscola, MI; d: 24 March 1968 Saginaw, Saginaw, MI
+Sigmund A. Kwiatkowski b: 12 May 1903 Saginaw, Saginaw, MI; m: 1 September 1932 Merrill, Saginaw, MI [W.G./Mary Donitski]; d: 13 August 1975 Au Gres, Arenac, MI
8 Charles Leonard Petre b: Abt. 1905 Saginaw, MI; d: 2 August 1939 Ontario, San Bernardino, CA
+Eileen Catherine Skillman b: 7 September 1907 Ontario, San Bernardino, CA; m: 15 June 1935 [Arthur D./Julia D. Early]; d: 31 August 1960 Clearwater, BC
8 Grace Petre b: 27 September 1907 Jonesfield, Saginaw, MI; d: 10 August 1987 West Branch, Ogemaw, MI
+Gerald Trahan b: 11 September 1907 Saginaw, Saginaw, MI; m: 12 June 1929 Merrill, Saginaw, MI [Clarence/Blanche Bander]; d: 25 July 1948 Merrill, Saginaw, MI
*2nd Husband of Grace Petre:
Notes for Toussaint Pitre:
- 1900 Gilford, Tuscola, Michigan: Tousaint Petre 36
(farmer), wife of 14 years Mary 33 (7 of 8 children still living), Walter 12,
Floyd 12, Bell 10, Leo 9, Clarance 6, Herbert 3, Lottie 1.
- 1910 Jonesfield, Saginaw, MI: Tusan Petre 45, wife of 26 years Mary 43 (11 of 12 children still living), Leo J. 19, Clarence 15, Herbert 14, Lottie 11, Dalor 10, Ducea 6, Leonard 4, Grace 2, widowed brother-in-law Alexander Batour 46.
- 1920 Jonesfield, Merrill, Saginaw, MI: Tusan Petre 56 (RR laborer), wife Mary 52, Lottie 21, Della 16, Leonard 14, Grace 12, brother-in-law Alexander Beture 57 (farm laborer).
- 1930 Merrill, Saginaw, MI: Tusan Petrie 66, wife of 44 years Marie 63, Dellad 26, Deloss Petrie 29, his wife of 3 years Bernies 24, Robert D. 6 months. In Tekonsha, Calhoun, MI: Leonard Petrie 24 printer/newspaper.
- 1940 Merrill, Saginaw, MI: Delos Pitre 39 section laborer/P.M. Railroad, wife Bernise 34, Robert 10, Mary 7, widowed father Tusan 76 retired farmer. [Jonesfield, 126 Railroad] In Ontario, San Bernardino, CA: Leonard's widow Eileen C. Petre 32 teacher/public school, Ann C. Petre 1, living with her parents & brother.
- 1950 Merrill, Saginaw, MI: Delos Petre 49 trackman/railroad co., wife Bernice 44, Mary 17 saleslady/drug store, widowed father Tousan 86.
Tombstone Inscription, Sacred Heart Cemetery, Saginaw, MI: PETRE / Mary G. / 1867 - 1937 / Tousan / 1863 - 1952
- Saginaw News, Saturday, 7 September 1918: Merrill - Mr. and Mrs. Tusan Petre of Merrill, have a splendid military record in their family.. They have seven sons, three of whom are in service in France, one in Camp Syracuse, Syracuse, N.Y., and two in the draft age. The other is in school.
- Saginaw News, Friday, 8 November 1918: Merrill - In a letter to his mother, Mrs. Mary Petre, Deloss Petre states that he took part in the great allied counter-attack on the Marne salient July 18 that started the Huns backwards towards Germany and began the disintegration of the German western front. In that battle the marines covered themselves with glory, but at a terrible cost of killed and wounded.
- Saginaw News, Saturday, 10 May 1919: Merrill - Herbert Petre, who has been in overseas service, arrived in Merrill Wednesday night and is at the home of his parents, Mr. and Mrs. Tusan Petre.
- Saginaw News, Friday, 25 July 1919: Clarence Petre is spending a 30-day furlough with his parents, Mr. and Mrs. Tusan Petre. He has been in military service since October, 1909 and still has some time to serve. He spent four years in the Philippines and two years in France. He came to Merrill from Newport News, Va., and at the close of his furlough will go to Douglas, Arizona.
- Saginaw News, Thursday, 23 February 1922: Merrill - Mr. and Mrs. Tusan Petre spent a week with friends at Clio.
- Midland Daily News (Midland, MI), Tuesday, 7 November 1950: Mt. Haley - Tousan Petre, grand old man of Merrill, was the honor guest at an open house given for him by his daughter, Mrs. Grace Trahan, at the Trahan home Sunday afternoon. Mr. Petre celebrated his 87th birthday. He suffered a fractured hip in the spring but has recovered enough to get around with the help of a crutch and cane.
WWI registration records (sons):
Walter Stephons Petre: Walter S. Petre; res. Oneonta, N.Y.; born 10 Aug 1886 (Gilford, MI); RR trainman; wife & 2 children; medium height, medium build; gray eyes & black hair; 5 June 1917.
Floyd Louis Petre: Floyd Louis Petre, res,
Billings, MT; b. 28 Feb 1888 Gilford, MI; farmer; single; short height, stout
build, blue eyes/brown hair; 5 June 1917
Obituaries for the children:
Walter Stephons Petre: Tombstone Inscription, Forest Lawn Cemetery, Saginaw, MI: Walter S. / Petre / Michigan / CPL / 71 Engineers / World War I / August 10, 1886 / June 30, 1958
Floyd Louis Petre: The Billings Gazette (Billings, MT), Saturday, 6 June 1970: Floyd Lewis Petrie, 82, of 812 Custer Ave., died Friday morning at New Western Manor. He had been in the nursing home since Nov. 14, 1969. Mr. Petrie was born Feb. 28, 1888, in Gilford, Mich., a son of Mr. and Mrs. Tousan Petrie. He married Rose Jock in Merrill, Mich., in 1909. They moved to Billings in 1914 and started in the dairy business. In 1947 he began farming east of town until he moved into town in 1950. He was a member of the St. Pius Catholic Church. Survivors include two daughters, Mrs. Dallas Clark, Clawson, Mich., and Mrs. Thelma Clark, Santa Anna, Calif.; three sisters, Mrs. Lottie Shannon and Mrs. Bell Barber, both of Merrill, Mich., and Mrs. Grace Walker of Texas; four grandchildren. Rosary will be in Smith's Funeral Chapel, Monday, 7:30 p.m., and requiem mass will be in St. Pius Catholic Church, 10:00 a.m., Tuesday. Burial will be in Mountview Cemetery.
Mary Belle Petre: Tombstone Inscription, St. Mary's Cemetery, Hemlock, MI: Howard L. Barber / Michigan / Asst Band Ldr 328 FA 85 Div / World War I / March 27, 1889 - Feb. 19, 1951 // Mary B. Barber / 1889 - 1970
Clarence Petre: Tombstone Inscription, Hemlock Cemetery, Hemlock, Saginaw, MI: Clarence O. Petre / Michigan / PVT Co F 19th Infantry / May 13, 1894 - Feb. 5, 1955 // Martha Petre / 1895 - 1977
Herbert A. Petre: Tombstone Inscription: Los Angeles National Cemetery, Los Angeles, CA: Herbert A. / Petere / Michigan / chauffeur / 1103 AERO SQ. / November 23, 1933
Lottie Petre: Tombstone Inscription, Sacred Heart Cemetery, Lakefield, MI: Father / Frank J. Shannon / 1883 - 1964 // Mother / Lottie Shannon / 1898 - 1980
Delos Petre: Lansing State Journal (Lansing, MI), Sunday, 16 November 1958: Delos Petre, 58, of Merrill, suffered the fatal heart attack while hunting in Roscommon county.
Tombstone Inscription, St. Marys Cemetery, Hemlock, MI: Delos J. Petre / Michigan / CPL BTRY F 18 Field Arty / World War I / July 4, 1900 - Nov 15, 1958
Della Petre: Tombstone Inscription, St. Andrew Cemetery, Saginaw, MI: Kwiatkowski / Mother / Della B. / 1903 - 1968 / Father / Sigmund A. / 1903 - 1975
Charles Leonard Petre: The San Bernardino County Sun (San Bernardino, CA), Friday, 4 August 1939: Life Ended by Long Illness - Ontario, Aug. 3 - Charles Leonard Petre, 34, West California boulevard, died late yesterday at San Antonio hospital, following a long illness with undulent fever, complicated a week ago by leukaemia. Many blood transfusions administered in an effort to save his life proved unavailing. Mr. Petre, who was employed at the Ontario plant of the General Electric Co., is survived by his wife, Eileen Skillman Petre; a daughter, Ann Cathryn Petre, age one year; his father, Tousan Petre, Merrill, Mich.; four sisters, Mrs. H. L. Barber, Mrs. Frank Shannon and Mrs. Grace Trayham, Merrill, Mich., and Mrs. P. Kowquaski, Saginaw, Mich.; and five brothers, Leo of Ontario, Walter, Clarence and DeLos of Merrill, Mich., and Floyd of Great Falls, Mont. A rosary service was conducted at 8 o'clock this evening at the Richardson mortuary, 123 West G street, and the funeral will be held tomorrow, 9 a.m., at St. George's Catholic church, of which Mr. Petre was a member. The Rev. James Houlihan will officiate and interment will be in Bellevue cemetery.
Grace Petre: Tombstone Inscription, Sacred Heart Cemetery, Saginaw, MI: Grace Trahan / 1907 - 1987 // Gerald Trahan / 1907 - 1948
Items in RED have been verified against parish register entries.
- Births/Marriages/Deaths in RED without a church have come from the Michigan Return of Births/Marriages/Deaths (Family Search online - actual pages viewable). While births & marriages name parents, deaths list only age & marital status.
- Michigan deaths between 1897-1920 in RED taken from death certificates (online), which may also include birthdate.
- Some items in RED from obituaries.
Last updated: 7 December 2022.