Continuation of tree (13th child of Joseph Lepitre/Julie Marguerite Sills); all known surname descendants:
7 Paus J. 'Proscal' Lepitre b: 14 July 1853 Chicago, Cook, IL; d: 1943 Ephraim, Door, Wisconsin
+Celia Johnson b: Abt. 1857 Illinois; m: 30 August 1877 Chicago, Cook. IL; d: 28 October 1888 Chicago, Cook, IL
*2nd Wife of Paus J. 'Proscal' Lepitre:
+Matilda Hellen Christzzhanso b: May 1868 Wisconsin; m: 26 June 1889; d: 1949 Ephraim, Door, Wisconsin
8 Melven J. Lepitre b: 30 March 1890 Chicago, Cook, IL; d: 28 November 1971 Ft. Lauderdale, Broward, FL
+Alma Beifuss b: 15 May 1892 Chicago, Cook, IL; m: 1 June 1914 Chicago, Cook, IL [Charles/Elise ---]; d: 25 May 1970 Ft. Lauderdale, Broward, FL
8 Roy Joseph Lepitre b: 1 February 1894 Chicago, Cook, IL; d: 10 October 1960 Phoenix, Maricopa, AZ
+Margaret Bagby b: Abt. 1891 Walton, Kentucky; m: 27 January 1917 Chicago, Cook, IL; d: 26 December 1949 Chicago, Cook, IL
*2nd Wife of Roy Joseph Lepitre:
+Anna B. --- b: 29 December 1891; m: unknown; d: October 1964 Phoenix, Maricopa, AZ
Notes for Paus J. 'Proscal' Lepitre:
- 1880 St. Joseph, Buchanan, Missouri: Pause Lapetre 30 (opera actor), Lillie Lapetre 23 (opera actress), in a boarding house.
- 1900 Chicago, Cook, IL: Paus LePetre 46, wife of 10 years Matilda 32, Melven 10, Roy J. 6.
- 1910 Chicago, Cook, IL: Paus Le Petrie 54 (locomotive engineer), wife of 11 years Matilda 42 (2 of 4 children still living): Melvin 18 & Roy 14.
- 1920 Ephraim Village, Gibralter, Door, Wisconsin: Paus J. LePitre 66 (own income), wife Matilda 51.
- 1930 Preble, Brown, Wisconsin: Paus J. Le Pitre 77 (retired actor), wife Matilda H. 62.
- 1940 Ephraim, Door, WI: Paus Lepitre 87 retired, wife Matilda 71.
Chicago city directory: 1891 - Paus Lepitre, actor, h. rear 19 Gold
Green Bay, Wisconsin city directory: 1929 - LePitre Paus (Matilda) h1751 Morrow
- Green Bay Press Gazette (Green Bay, Wisconsin), Monday, 17 July 1939: Relatives Reunited at Birthday Party - Paun LePitrie, Former Clown, Now 86 Years Old - Ephraim, Wis. - A nephew and niece saw an uncle for the first time in 31 years at a birthday observance here Friday. The occasion was the 86th birthday of Paun LePitrie, one-time noted circus clown. Miss Ella Marinor and Eclor Marinor, Detroit, Mich., the niece and nephew, came here with other relatives for the occasion. Mrs. John Kern, Riverside, Ill., another niece, was also here. The Le Pitrie's only children, two sons, Melvin and Roy, Chicago, were here on June 26, when their parents celebrated their golden wedding anniversary. Mr. LePitrie retired from show business several years ago, and had since made this his home; years ago he was featured with some of the largest circuses of his day, and during the off season starred in vaudeville. He was born in Chicago July 14, 1853, a son of Joseph and Julia LePitrie.
Tombstone Inscription, Lutheran Cemetery, Ephraim, Door, Wisconsin: LEPITRE / PAUS / 1853 - 1943 / MATILDA / 1868 - 1949
Notes for Celia Johnson:
Obituary: Daily Inter Ocean, Chicago, Sunday, 28 October 1888: Le Pitre - At her residence, No. 19 Gold street, Celia, beloved wife of Paris Le Pitre, aged 31 years. Funeral to-day at 9 o'clock to Notre Dame Church, thence to Calvary.
WWI registration records (sons):
Melven J. Lepitre: Melven Lepitre; Chicago, Cook, IL; born 30 Mar 1890 (Chicago, IL); wife; medium height, medium build; brown eyes & brown hair.
Roy Joseph Lepitre: Roy Joseph LePitre; Chicago, Cook, IL; born 1 Feb 1894 (IL); wife; medium height, slender build; brown eyes & brown hair.
Obituaries for the children:
Melven J. Lepitre: Fort Lauderdale News (Fort Lauderdale, FL), Tuesday, 30 November 1971: Melven Le Pitre, 81, of 124 South Gordon Road, Fort Lauderdale, Sunday at Broward General Medical Center. Born in Chicago. Came here in 1955 from Chicago. He was a retired insurance executive, a member of AF & AM Pleiades Lodge No. 478 of Chicago. Masonic funeral services 8 p.m. Wednesday at Blackburn Funeral Home Chapel. Friends may call at the funeral home Wednesday 2 to 4 and 7 to 9 p.m.
Roy Joseph Lepitre: Arizona Republic (Phoenix, AZ), Wednesday, 12 October 1960: Funeral services and burial for Roy J. LePitre, 66, who died Monday en route to Memorial Hospital, will be in Chicago, A. L. Moore and Sons Mortuary announced. Mr. LePitre was a retired clerk of the Underwriters Adjustment Co. in Chicago. He came to Phoenix a year ago from Chicago, where he was born. He lived at 2148 E. Polk. He is survived by his wife, Anna B.; a daughter, Mrs. Jack Corso, and a son, Melven LePitre, both of Chicago; a brother in Florida, and five grandchildren.
Items in RED have been verified against parish register entries.
- Some Illinois items in RED sourced from online state records/certificates.
- Some Wisconsin deaths in RED sourced from tombstone inscriptions.
Last updated: 20 March 2021.