Continuation of tree (15th child of Joseph Lepitre/Julie Marguerite Sills); all known surname descendants:
7 Zephririn Xavier Lepitre b: Abt. 1858 Chicago, Cook, IL; d: 28 March 1889 Chicago, Cook, IL
+Nellie Downey b: April 1863 Chicago, Cook, IL; m: 3 August 1877 Chicago, Cook, IL [Maurice/Ellen O'Donnell]; d: 11 March 1940 Chicago, Cook, IL
8 Walter Joseph Lepitre b: 27 November 1878 Chicago, Cook, IL; d: 3 February 1916 Chicago, Cook, IL
+Anna Josephine Schwartz b: 25 January 1890 Illinois; m: 15 August 1910 Chicago, Cook, IL; d: 1 January 1970 Chicago, Cook, IL
8 Pearl Lepitre b: 21 June 1879 Chicago, Cook, IL; d: Aft. May 1960 Buffalo, Erie, NY
+Frank Sherwood b: Abt. 1876 Illinois; m: 27 July 1897 Mason, Ingham, MI; d: Aft. 1940
8 Joseph 'Frank' Lepitre b: 13 March 1881 Chicago, Cook, IL; d: 11 May 1960 Chicago, Cook, IL
+Anna Josephine Schwartz (Lepitre, Bourne) b: 25 January 1890 Illinois; m: 14 February 1922 Chicago, Cook, IL; d: 1 January 1970 Chicago, Cook, IL
Notes for Zephirin Xavier Lepitre:
- 1880 Chicago, Cook, Illinois: Widower Joseph Lepitre 70 (railway flagman), Zeph Lepitre 22, wife Nellie 18, Walter 2, Pearl 1; Alfred Lepetre 24 (iron molder), wife Emily 23, Eva 1.
- 1900 Chicago, Cook, IL:
Mary Downey 45 box factory, widowed sister Nellie LePetre 37, niece Pearl
Sherwood 20, gr.-nephew Earl Sherwood 2 (MI); boarder David Broderick 34 (Ire)
laborer/bottling. [Walter 22,
Joseph 18 - ?]
- 1910 Chicago, Cook, IL: Widow Nellie La Petrie 47 (3 of 3 children still living), Walter 30; sister Mary Downey 50.
- 1920 Chicago, Cook, IL:
Frank J. Lepitre 38 U.S. mail clerk, wife Anna 29, Lillian 4 years 4 months.
- 1930 Chicago, Cook, IL:
Frank J. Le Pitre 50 chauffeur/windowshade, wife Anna J. 40, Lillian J. 14; stepson John J.
Bourne 20 stock clerk/railroad; Fred W. Schmidt 59 watchman/post office, wife
Nellie 68. [2622 Armitage Avenue]
- 1940 Chicago, Cook, IL: Frank LePitre 59 chauffeur/drapery firm, wife Anna 50, Lillian 24 filing/state employment. [2622 Armitage Avenue]
Obituary: Daily Inter Ocean (Chicago, IL), Friday, 29 March 1889: Le Pitre - March 28, at No. 21 Gold street, Zeph Le Pitre, beloved husband of Nellie Downey, and member of Court Liberty, No. 29, I.O.F. and of Apollo Council No. 29, O.C.F., aged 30 years. Funeral Sunday at 9 o'clock to Notre Dame Church, thence by carriages to Calvary. Friends invited.
Chicago city directory:
- 1889: Nellie LiPitro, wid. Zephir, h. rear 21 Gold
- 1891: Helen Lepitre, wid Zeph, h. 352 W. 15th
- 1900: Nellie LePitre wid Zeph h 350 W 15th, & Walter LePitre lab h 350 W 15th
- 1901: Nellie Lepitre, wid Zeph, & Walter Lepitre, laborer, h. 350 W. 15th
Notes for Nellie Downey:
- Remarried 8 June 1901 at Berrien, MI to Frank E. Beardsley (6 Jul 1858 - 22 Jul 1910); then c1912 to Fred Schmidt (24 Aug 1871 - 17 Jun 1933).
- Obituary: Chicago Tribune (Chicago, IL), Wednesday, 13 March 1940: Schmidt - Nell Schmidt, nee Downey, wife of the late Fred Schmidt, beloved mother of Mrs. Pearl Sherwood, Frank, and the late Walter Le Pitre. Funeral Thursday, March 14, at 9:30 a.m., from residence, 2622 Armitage avenue, to St. Sylvester's church. Interment Calvary.
WWI Registration Records (sons):
Joseph 'Frank' Lepitre: Frank Joseph Le Pitre; b. 14 Mar 1880; Mrs. Anna Le Pitre (wife); medium build, medium height; grey eyes, black hair; 12 Sep 1918, Chicago, IL.
Obituaries for the children:
Joseph 'Frank' Lepitre: Chicago Daily News (Chicago, IL), Thursday, 12 May 1960: Le Pitre - Frank J. Le Pitre, beloved husband of Anna (nee Schwartz), father of the late Lillian Van Zandt, fond brother of Pearl Sherwood (Buffalo, N.Y.) and the late Walter, father-in-law of David Van Zandt, grandfather of Howard. Funeral Saturday at 9:30 a.m. from funeral home, to St. Sylvester's Church. Interment Calvary. Please omit flowers.
Items in RED have been verified against parish register entries.
- Illinois marriages in RED from online certificates.
- Some Illinois items in RED sourced from online state records/certificates.
Last updated: 24 March 2021.